If you ever wondered what is mold then please stay with us because we have posted some interesting info that can help you now or in the future.
Molds are microscopic fungi that thrive on moist or damp areas to grow. They are part of the natural environment: spoiled food contains molds, decaying leaves rot because of them, and wet fabrics left in a damp place develop musty smell due to the presence of these fungi.
They are useful to people in many ways. For instance, the penicillin drug is derived from a specific mold type. Various types of molds are used to produce various cheeses, alcohols, and chemicals used in different industries. However, extensive mold growth, especially inside the house, can be harmful to people.
Household molds can damage furniture and clothing. It is important to recognize the presence of molds at home early on to avoid developing allergic reactions to these microscopic fungi.
What is Mold: 5 Things That You Should Know
When somebody asks you, “What is mold?” can you easily differentiate it from the rest of the microorganisms that can be found on the environment? Oftentimes, it is easier to identify how it smells rather than recite facts as to the nature of molds.
It is of utmost importance that you learn how to identify molds since their presence at home can cause various reactions from the body. From simple allergies to blurred vision, molds can be harmful if left to grow extensively inside the home. Here are some things that you should know about molds:
1. Molds reproduce through spores, which are airborne and thus can easily enter every home through open windows and doors. They can attach to clothing or fur or on your slippers. Spores are like seeds that when they land on another surface, they start to grow provided that the conditions are right. If you try to clean up molds by wiping them, you are actually spreading more spores inside your house rather than eliminate them.
2. Extensive mold growth can cause allergic reactions such as skin irritation, red and watery eyes, headaches, and breathing difficulties. Individuals with asthma may experience aggravated asthma symptoms. This is because molds produce allergens and in some cases, toxins, which cause various reactions in humans. These reactions depend on the type o molds present, the individual’s sensitivities, and extent of the individual’s exposure.
3. Molds can easily be identified by their smell. They have a characteristic musky odor, which is a first indication that you have mold problems. You can also visibly see them: they appear discolored, slightly furry, and slimy on surfaces.
You can find them behind and underneath walls, carpets, cabinets, or any place where it is usually damp. Refrigerator seals, window moldings, bathroom tiles, and shower stalls and curtains are their most common habitats.
4. If the area where molds are located is no larger than a square meter, do not worry for it is just a small area that needs minor solution. You may simply clean up these areas using a detergent solution. Do not forget to wear rubber gloves and dust mask for protection.
Immediately clean this up since these small areas may develop into extensive problem over time. Extensive mold growth is not good for your home. Do not attempt to clean this up. Instead, call a professional to conduct mold testing and cleaning.
5. If there is no mold problem in your home, it does not mean that you will not have in future. Prevent them from entering and growing inside the house by keeping your home dry, immediately fixing water leaks, cleaning your home regularly, and discarding clutter and excess materials that are stored.
Knowing what is mold and what it can do to your house are important to make you cautious about their presence in your environment. If you suspect molds growing inside your home, do something about it.