What Is Mold And Is It Dangerous?

What is mold? Often associated with musty, damp areas that promote its growth and survival, mold is a fungus that will attach itself to certain types of materials such as drywall used in the construction of your house.

It will emit tiny spores that become airborne when living in wet areas of the home such as a bathroom or damp basement area.

This is where mold breeds best. When it is spotted, quick action needs to be taken since it will spread to other areas of the structure if left untreated.

Even if mold is not evident but the building does suffer from a moisture problem, it is important to deal with the situation as quickly as possible.

Although mold presents an incredibly unsightly appearance, its greater problem lies in being a health hazard. People suffering from allergies and asthma will definitely find it difficult to breathe in a mold infested building.

Additionally, a person can suffer eyes, ears, nose and throat irritations. Mold needs to be eliminated so inhabitants of the building do not suffer unnecessarily.

But, the source producing the mold has to be eliminated first. No degree of treatment eliminating what is mold infestations will cure the situation since if the source remains, mold will reappear.

A need exists to find out how and where moisture gains access to the building in order to deal with the overall mold occurrence problem.

Sometimes, when the area where moisture enters a home is limited to a small section, the homeowner can tackle the problem. But, if the moisture seeping area is larger than 10 square feet, it is highly recommended a professional environmental protection company is consulted to devise a solution.

Anytime a homeowner seeks to tackle a small mold infestation, the first thing to acquire is a beneficial face mask. Breathing in mold should never happen and always using a face mask will prevent it from happening. Choose either a surgical mask or the kind used by carpenters that keep sawdust from being inhaled. Also, always wear a long sleeved shirt with long pants creating a good protection.

The infected area needs to be scrubbed with a mixture of warm water and detergent. Then it needs to be completely dry before sanitizing with a solution of one gallon to one-quarter cup of bleach.

After sanitizing, the infected area needs to completely dry again. It is highly recommended to repeat this process to make sure the mold is completely eliminated.

Eliminate The Moisture, Eliminate The Problem

If the moisture problem is eliminated and all mold appearance removed, there should be no further health issues. But, if all these efforts are completed and the mold returns – it’s time to call in the experts.

A professional will guarantee the problem will be solved. Such a guarantee should give a homeowner added peace of mind that the moisture and mold problem will be permanently eliminated.

Professionals realize that if the moisture seeping in is not solved first, no amount of mold treatment will work. And, since most reputable companies provide a guarantee, they have the experience and equipment to get the job done correctly the first time.

Otherwise, many amateur attempts fail because homeowners do not possess the experience to know what is mold and its dangers.